The U.S. has been in the business of covertly overthrowing countries since poking its nose into the Italian election in 1948. This was the first time that I have found that the US, through covert means, totally perverted another country’s democratic process.
It was so “successful” that a big push came for more of the same. Operation Gladio was the name given to sneaky, violent US meddling abroad.
This was exposed much later as the result of investigations into terrorist bombings in Italy which were initially blamed on “leftists” but which turned out to be carried out by NATO assets.
After sixty-six years of practice, the CIA and its collaborators have become quite skilled at regime change, election-rigging and violent subversion. The tactics they use are simple and they use them over and over simply because they almost always work. And if the sneaky plan doesn’t work, they can always come up with a pretext to send in troops and do regime-change the old-fashioned way.
Five easy Steps to Overthrow a Country
1. Enter the country through “helpful” Non-Governmental Agencies. We are here to provide aid, to enhance your democracy, to bring freedom, peace, prosperity, yada yada, yada. If the country’s leader (wisely) throws the NGO out, they say, “Look at that rat! He doesn’t want freedom, peace, prosperity, etc. “Diplomats,” “journalists” and bribed local officials all help.
2. Organize and funnel money to unhappy citizen groups. There is no spot on God’s green earth that does not have unhappy citizen groups. Tell them how just their cause is, give them LOTS of money, pump up the grievances, tell them they should protest!
3. When the protest gets cranking, hire snipers to shoot both local law enforcement and the protesters themselves. Then scream in the news media: The rat! he is killing his own people! Print lots of bloody pictures, interview grieving survivors, set tires on fire (the black smoke makes a good background for Youtube videos.)
4. If that is not enough, hire mercenaries to rampage against the government. Call them freedom fighters or moderates. Civil war is good! Generate lots of causalities, commit lots of atrocities. Blame it all on that rat in power. Make sure the news is saturated with this message, so the general population will demand military action to remove the Designated Rat; you know, for humanitarian reasons.
5. If 1-4 does not work, manufacture a pretext to send in the military: “protect national interests” humanitarian intervention” “responsibility to protect” “imminent threat to homeland” Usually 1-4 works, the Designated Rat flees, is hung or is brutally beaten to death on camera as a warning to anyone who thinks they can resist.
Watch for the Five easy Steps in operation. The bad news is that the steps are in operation around the world even as you read this. Iraq, Libya, Syria, Ukraine-all in different stages of the same old, same old.
The good news is that they must LIE about all this because we are mostly decent people who would never agree to all this if we knew the truth. The foundation for legitimacy of a government, according to American values, is self-determination and if a foreign nation determines they want a government that we don’t like-guess what?
That is none of our damned business.
To sum up:
1. Enter the country through “helpful” Non-Governmental Agencies.
2. Organize and funnel money to unhappy citizen groups.
3. When the protest gets cranking, hire snipers to shoot both local law enforcement and the protesters themselves.
4. If that is not enough, hire mercenaries to rampage against the government.
5. If 1-4 does not work, manufacture a pretext to send in the military.