Since the Crash of 2008, the Federal Reserve, which is not federal and has no reserves, has pumped trillions of dollars into zombie banks; banks which went bust but were hooked up to life support.
This was done on the theory that it would trickle down to the rest of us. This is also known as Pissing-On-Your-Leg and calling it Trickle Down Economics.
The USA has also spent trillions on wars that have not made the US more secure, but have secured vast wealth transfers to war contractors and sprawling monopolies. Total up bank bail-outs and wars and we’re talking maybe $20 trillion?
My, my-what could we have done better with that kind of money? What can fix the USA now?
- Build 1,000 modern hospitals in under-served areas to bring the US up to the MINIMUM standard of 4.5 hospital beds per 1,000 people, as mandated in the 1946 Hill-Burton Act. That was 1946. Let’s get on it.
- Build 50,000 miles of high-speed rail, to improve commerce, infrastructure, and to catch up with Germany, Japan and China.
- Give zero percent loans to students for college (retroactive to all student loans) and zero percent loans to anyone who will restore abandoned factories and hire people. The zero percent interest for Zombie banks? No. Let them get loans on the free market they love so much.
- Audit the Federal Reserve. The results of an honest audit will traumatize the nation. When the nation has recovered from the trauma, nationalize the Fed and make money policy for the benefit of the citizenry, debated and voted in congress and signed by the President. (So we know exactly who to blame if they screw up-also known as accountability.)
- Make deals, not war. Stop screwing with other sovereign nations. Stop trying to control the whole freaking world. Close at least half of the 800 foreign military bases, but not even one base on US soil.
- Tax Wall St transactions at 1%. You mean they aren’t taxed now? No, they are not. You are, I am, other businesses are, but not Wall Street. MAKE THEM PAY.
Shh, don’t start with any of that despair-talk. Don’t let a word of “we’re so helpeless” escape your lips or even make a nest in your neurons. Away with that!
All these can be done. Even more can be done. And they will be done when we stand up and demand that they be done.